[ sometimes I can hold my tongue
sometimes not ]
|
[ sometimes I can hold my tongue sometimes not ]
I read: |
college student. (english literature, dance, education)
quite fond of: friends and family (and where the lines blur) poetry the bay area dance (for life and always) eating constantly party time (excellent!) retail therapy olympic level procrastination wandering in libraries sleeping at odd hours emotional masochism Youtube Last.fm
Poetry Excerpts from "Sound Off" chapbook. Poetry Workshop I, Mills College, August-November 2009. Copyright 2009, all rights reserved. "Progression"
As a
repeated chest pelting
supposition
early onset dementia
bewildered iris
mission statement
as
Horizon line
Testament not old not new
Ampersand
Technology etching That’s enough for today.
"unscheduled" tight
"strangers"
this glass was blown and cut and formed
"Chicken Chow Mein" Nothing is delivered without cost.
[ cohesion and concreteness
Ideals are minimal. Intangible. Disintegrating.
Your fortune: Only you can change your life. No one can do it for you.
It is quite the reasonable goal,
Archives
Text credits: Tori Amos Recent posts:
Monthly 411:
Sunday, May 23, 2004
So.... so many things to say!
I went to the school car wash, it was fun somewhat. and I ran into Mia at the swim center, so we'll get together. fun. :) ALIAS FINALE!!! THEY KILLED HER! THEY KILLED LAUREN! AND SYD AND VAUGHN MADE OUT! AND OTHER STUFF HAPPENED LIKE THEY KEPT HAVING MASKS AND PULLING THEM OFF AND IT WAS OTHER PEOPLE!!! WOWOWOW!! LOL JENNIFER MARKS MENTIONED ME IN AN INTERVIEW!!!! " Jennifer Marks Takes It To The Next Level By Tina Whelski Whether relishing the fun of instant gratification in the song "Naked," excited by a voyeur in "Window," ridiculing former classmates in the enjoyably evil "High School Reunion" or telling the world to 'take her imperfections or leave her' in "Any Other Way," singer-songwriter Jennifer Marks is not afraid to explore sensitive subjects honestly in her music. Her new self-titled release, due out May 4, is a mix of honesty, openness and humor. Throughout the pop/rock-edged CD, Marks stares life straight in the eyes with her trademark sense of hope. And just when you think a bad mood might get the best of her, she picks herself up again with style. Recently signed to Bardic Records, Marks is grateful for the support she's receiving on the album's release. I caught up with her after we both returned from SXSW in Austin to discuss what's next. WOMANROCK: Your self-titled CD hits the streets May 4. You previously released 3 albums on your own label. How has signing with Bardic Records changed things? JENNIFER: It is very different when you have a team of people working with you. At first I was very uncomfortable with it but I was given a great analogy the other day as I was freaking out and trying to micromanage. I was told to look at it as if I won the lottery. Now, I can afford to have a live-in maid, a chef, a gardener, etc. It is hard to give up the control, but I have been so busy doing my job (performing) that I have to let someone else do the dishes. WOMANROCK: What plans are in place to promote your CD? JENNIFER: For the last 6 months my label mate Ben Arthur and I have been playing at high schools throughout the U.S. It was a great idea because we really got to connect with a lot of kids. The kids got out of class, which made them happy and we got to perform for them, which made us happy. I have become an expert at singing at 7:30AM. We made a commercial that will be airing on MTV2, Oxygen and other cable networks to publicize the release. There is a video that will probably be made by the time you read this, and I have been on a plane almost every day, visiting radio stations throughout the US. And that is just the beginning! WOMANROCK: Can you talk about your tour to date? JENNIFER: The High Schools were great and I think we will try and continue doing some here and there but the next phase will be performing at Barnes and Nobles throughout the US. Barnes and Noble is being incredibly supportive of me. They will have the CD in listening stations in all their stores along with it being on their recommended list so we decided to do a lot of the upcoming shows at the stores themselves. WOMANROCK: Do any particular places or people stand out while you've been on the road? JENNIFER: I was in San Francisco and I was missing my husband, my dog-just everything. After being out for almost 3 months I was kind of ready to get home. I did a show that a young girl had been planning on attending for a while. She had been emailing me that she was very excited about it, which was so sweet. Unfortunately her mom got lost on the way and they missed it. She emailed me that night and said she was very sad that she missed me. I felt really bad. A few hours later her mom emailed me and said she was hysterically crying and inconsolable. Her mom asked if I could find some time to meet them for 5 minutes just so she could say hi. I decided that I would do one better and I invited them and a few of her friends to my hotel room the next night so I could give them a private performance. It was so much fun. She was so happy, but truly what they didn't realize is they made my whole trip out there worthwhile. The experience was awesome for me and it took my mind off of feeling homesick." http://www.womanrock.com/features/jennifer_marks_next_level.htm Oh. My. God. |
