4/21/04
Tori Amos’ 97 Bonnie and Clyde/ Strange Little Girl – A Retrospective
Why are you running, my little girl
Who are you trying to escape from?
Your feet are getting scratched
The rocks are hard little girl
Where are your shoes?
Who are you trying to escape from?
Little little Tori tell you a scary story?
About you? About me?
Your mommy
Poor, poor mommy.
Mommy’s gone now. And you were there.
You know you were.
That’s wasn’t ketchup
And that wasn’t just a little scratch
And you shouldn’t have touched the rock
You shouldn’t have helped push that rock
You knew there was no bed
At the bottom of the lake
Remember, little girl?
But you’re here now.
It’s late. Its past nine, little girl.
You’re at the end of the block.
There’s no place for you to go.
Your eyes are big as the cars pass
The strangers look at you
Thinking
“Strange little girl
Where are you going”
Don’t step out in the street, little girl
Don’t wanna go with Mommy yet
Not yet. I see you, little girl.
Please don’t do it. Not yet
I love you too much, little Dgirl
I’m a strange little girl myself
And your daddy a strange little boy
There’s power for us, isn’t there? My little darling?
Just the two of us. Me and my daughter. And I love you still.
Please go home. Go home. Mommy will be waiting there
It was all a bad dream
I’ll open the door for you
I see you walking home now. Slowly.
Hurry now, it’s late. It’s getting colder.
Don’t pull at your hair, sweetie.
You’re almost there.
And I’m going to open the door for you.
And it will be okay again.
You can laugh again.
You can breathe again.
And I will too. Daddy is gone now.
Gone away now. It’s time. For life.
Just the two of us. Me and my daughter. And I love you still.